Faith 4-1s, random cute little boy who kicked the ball toward the wall and got hit by it and later turned to look at us and said, rather indifferently and matter of factly “I got hit by the ball”, Ms Nainee who helped me on A Math trigo, Syafiqah, Mr Joseph – thank you guys for making my day today, what might most probably be one of the most enjoyable, crazy and memorable days of my life.
“Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it eludes you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it comes and sits softly on your shoulder.”
~Henry David Thoreau
Just some daily wisdom from Mr. David! 🙂
Sometimes, I wished that cellphones, smart phones and computers did not actually come to existence. Sometimes, I wished that social networking sites did not exist too. I mean, once you think about it, people lived just fine without these technology in their lives. In fact, because these things did not exist back then, they appreciated life more and took in what nature – a beautiful thing – and what the world has to offer to them. They went out to the wilderness and to the forests to just escape and to take in the greenery. When they were having dinner, they would actually be talking to each other instead of texting. However, now, in this era of what we call the 21st century, none of that is happening anymore. Life as it is, is moving at such a fast pace. We do not even think twice about slowing down and just stop for a moment to appreciate life’s beauties do we? We just go about, in the hub-hub of our lives, with our heads bent down looking at our smartphones, our eyes glued to the screens. Perhaps that is why we’re also so stressed nowadays. Cause our “relaxation” for that matter is also looking through facebook, twitter and other social networking sites which in my opinion, just brings stress, drama, problems and the constant insecurity of not having as many followers as other people.
Yes, I do have facebook, twitter and yes, I do believe occasionally that I cannot live without my phone and my computer and other devices. I mean, everybody will believe that at one time isn’t it?
But I sometimes wished I would be able to go back to when times were much more simpler, and when these devices did not come into existence just as yet.
Just some night thoughts to share. Now, if you’d excuse me, I have to turn in now. See you guys and have a great week ahead! 🙂 Remember to just, for a moment, put your phones away and look at the beautiful scenery 🙂
Well, this is actually my 2nd post of today! It’s superbly rare for me nowadays to do 2 posts in 1 day – especially when prelims are near. But well, truth is, I really do not wish to resume studying anymore (Hehe). Felt exhausted from today’s series of subjects 🙂 So, this is what you guys can call it me taking a break. That is why I did not make an announcement where I’ll be shutting down my bloggy or not be posting till prelims or Os are over – which some people do by the way because blogging to me is a way to pour out my feelings, and it’s a way to share some inspiration, some knowledge and perhaps some of my thoughts out. So blogging is ultimately an outlet for me to do what I love best – to write (for that matter to type) It is a way for me to de-stress 🙂
Ohkays, I was browsing through my YM&C saved bookmarks and I thought of sharing with you guys a series of “story basics” which I first discovered from YM&C, followed by Twitter. It’s actually advice on how to write a story – and because this is ultimately a blog which promotes writing and the love of arts, here it is! Hope this gives you inspiration and a clearer mind to write a successful story! It did for me!
- You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.
- You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be very different.
- Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually till you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.
- Once upon a time there was ____. Everyday, _____. One day ____. Because of that, ____. Until finally ____.
- Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
- What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
- Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
- Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
- When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up. (I think this is VERY true)
- Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
- Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.
- Discount the 1st thing that comes to mind. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th – get the obvious out of the way. Surprise yourself.
- Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likeable to you as you write, but it’s poison to the audience.
- Why must you tell THIS story? What’s the belief burning within you that your story feeds off of? That’s the heart of it.
- If you were your character, in this situation, how would you feel? Honesty lends credibility to unbelievable situations.
- What are the stakes? Give us reason to root for the character. What happens if they don’t succeed? Stack the odds against.
- No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on – it’ll come back around to be useful later.
- You have to know yourself: the difference between doing your best and fussing. Story is testing, not refining.
- Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.
- Exercise: take the building blocks of a movie you dislike. How do you rearrange them into what you DO like?
- You gotta identify with your situation/characters, can’t just write “cool”. What would make YOU act that way?
- What’s the essence of your story? Most economical telling of it? If you know that, you can build out from there.
Yeaps, those are the advice 🙂 it is from pixar story artist Emma Coats 🙂
Hello World !
Well , thank goodness this hellish week is over ! Why the use of “hellish” you may ask ? Well , coz during this week I had 2 O Level Science SPAs – Science Practical Assesment and about 3 tests . So yeaps . That is why the usage of word “hellish” All in all , I think the 3 tests which I did were pretty ohkays , just that the Literature Passage Based Questions were tough . My SPA – hmmmmmmmmm . Chemistry was horribly done 😦 And yeahs , although I have an optimistic character , I was feeling pretty down over my Chem Spa . I mean , I did study for it . I studied through the topics and I went through the past SPAs that we did . But yet – it totally slipped my mind that we had to put the sodium hydroxide in excess . Not only that , I went to “predict” what the results will be like when we actually shouldn’t . So yeaps , I was pretty bumped out because it’s my Os and that was pretty much the last chance for me to boost up my SPA grade . Looks like I won’t be able to use it to boost my SPA grade up then – which will ultimately affect my Chem grade . —>; Reason why I dislike SPAs now haha .
But no matter , let bygones be bygones . It’s of no use mulling over what’s done – we should all just move ahead . Biology SPA was way better than Chemistry SPA 🙂
Well , as I went home from dental appointment on friday , the Straits Times headlines came up on my phone and it’s a really shameful act . I mean , university graduates , professors , men who hold high-posts , businessman , principles . They all have one thing in common : They are really smart . Yet , they revel in underage girls and using them for their pleasures . I mean really ? It’s a repulsive act that just leaves me extremely disgusted . And then I begin to question – what’s the use of qualifications if you actually don’t even have morals and values within you ? Education , grades and qualifications aren’t actually everything in this world – it’s the morals and values that resides in you that ultimately counts in the end . When these people are exposed , no one will really care how high were their qualifications isn’t it ? It’s an unthinkable act to be doing and it’s highly repulsive . I will ultimately appreciate a guy more who may not be so smart , but has morals and character inside him , than some guy who is a professor but has a rotten character . No doubt education is extremely important and it’s of course an added advantage for you if you’re really smart and hold high posts . But I guess , here’s one lesson that I learn – when you’ve achieved so much in life , just don’t ever ever lose your morals and values 🙂
Oh yeahs , today , I was just scrolling through Instagram and stumbled upon Grant Gustin’s photo of him being Todd-something in Affluenza . (I followed him on instagram) He’ll be the protagonist in the movie and wow , when I looked at how he’ll be like , I became really excited for the movie ! In my opinion , I think it’s gonna be like those movies where the characters are full of class . The guys will wear tuxedos and the girls will wear night gowns and long flowy dresses and they will attend cocktail parties . And then perhaps this one particular guy may be up to no good and cause havoc or something . It just seems like a really classy and exclusive movie . Then again , I’m just basing it on 1 picture of Grant wearing a tux LOL . For all you know , I may be dead wrong .
The first part of prelims are in next week and well , I have a couple more things to do before I can say I’m officially ready . So far , I’m managing my stress 🙂 Good luck people and have a great Olympics weekend ! 🙂
The hardest part about growing is letting go of what you were used to, and moving on with something you’re not. Sometimes you have to stop worrying, wondering and doubting, and have faith that things will work out. Laugh at the confusion, live consciously in the moment, and appreciate your life as it unfolds. You might not end up exactly where you intended to go, but eventually you will arrive precisely where you need to be.
as it gets cold and gray falls from the air
that you will go on
the same tune no matter where
you find yourself-
inside the dome of dark
or under the cracking white
of the moon’s gaze in a valley of snow
Tonight as it gets cold
what you know which is nothing
but the tune your bones play
as you keep going. And you will be able
for once to lie down under the small fire
of winter stars.
And if it happens that you cannot
go on or turn back
and you find yourself
where you will be at the end,
in that final flowing of cold through your limbs
that you love what you are
Adapted from YM&C “Lines for Winter” March 19th 2012
Simply loved this article and hence , I reblogged this from the author . It’s worth a read ! Kudos to the writer for her opinions – which I do agree with .
It has long been debated whether a film adaptation of a really popular novel can ever truly live up to the reader’s expectations and equal its paperback’s sucess. I started thinking about this whilst in Waterstones purchasing the Help when the store assistant enthusiastically announced that the film version was almost as good as the book, as though this was some sort of revelation. What really struck me was her emphasis on ‘almost’, as though it was never a point in question that the film could rival the book, but it was to be applauded that it had even come close.
As a self-confessed book-worm I’m concerned I might be approaching this debate with a slightly biased opinion (as you can probably tell from the title of the post) as, for me, there’s nothing better than those rare moments when you find yourself in possession of a book you just…
View original post 1,403 more words